WordPress is the most popular content management system (CMS) due to its incredible flexibility. Almost anyone can put it to good use!
Whether you are a professional web developer or a novice blogger, the CMS caters to both. It is not too difficult to learn and use, while its collection of plugins and themes lets users be as creative as they want to be.
WordPress has a vast number of theme options for you to choose from. While there are already more than seven thousand free themes in its repository, users can get many more from third-party developers.
Even though many themes are paid, they are usually better in terms of design and flexibility than the free ones.
If you want to freely modify your site without hiring a web designer, which can cost from $500 to $10,000 per project, getting one of the aforementioned themes is worth the price.
In this article, I am going to show you 12 of the most customizable WordPress themes on the market. The good thing is, many of them offer a free trial!
What Does Customizable Mean?
For beginners, choosing a WordPress theme can be difficult since the CMS offers thousands of free options. However, there are three types of themes we usually find.
The first one is the type with little to no space for customization. If you choose a theme like this, there is a big chance that your site will look similar to other sites with the same template.
Next, we have themes that are designed for specific niches – for example, online shops, design portfolios, and news sites. Even though they are an instant solution, many of them are difficult to modify.
The third one is the multipurpose theme. As the name implies, they allow for complete customization to fit any website. Also, many of them do not require you to have any coding skills.
Hence, these themes are suitable for those who want a professional-looking website without the help of a professional designer.
12 Most Customizable WordPress Themes
There are a lot of WordPress themes that are generous when it comes to customizability. But if you want to know which are the best, here are my recommendations.
- Dynamix is bundled with useful WordPress plugins, including Slider Revolution, Visual Composer, and iLightbox. With these integrations, you save around $100!
- The customizable WordPress theme allows users to play around with various header and picture grid styles. With this feature, you can rest assured your site is as unique as it can be.
- With Dynamix’s FlexiShape feature, users can make their page’s background completely original. Make curves, edges, and other shapes to decorate your backdrop.
- Not only does the customer support require you to pay, but it is also slow in responding to inquiries. Apart from that, the developer does not give any documentation.
The theme’s latest version, Dynamix 7, is packed with features and is compatible with a huge number of WordPress plugins.
Some of the key features that make the theme promising are custom headers, navigation menus, picture grid styles, and parallax backgrounds.
If you want to get Dynamix, it is available on Theme Forest for $49. The purchase covers future updates and six months of support.
- Divi comes with more than 800 layouts that fit various niches. It has an intuitive drag-and-drop interface, so users can modify their site with ease.
- Even though Divi simplifies web design, developers can use it as well. The customizable WordPress theme allows advanced visual modification with custom CSS controls.
- With Divi, users get more than 40 modules for adding features to their website.
- Similar to Dynamix’s FlexiShape, Divi has shape dividers. With this page element, you can choose how the divider of each page section looks like.
- Divi uses shortcodes for customization. If you want to change to another theme, however, be ready to see a lot of shortcodes left.
With almost 600 thousand users, Divi is one of the most popular themes on WordPress. Apart from that, it is also affordable. Users get access to all of the Elegant Themes’ products, 24/7 support, unlimited usage, and a 30-day refund by paying $89 per year.
If you do not want to purchase Divi every year, you can also opt for the one-time payment plan that costs $249. It covers all the benefits of the yearly package. With that price, Divi is not only flexible and easy to use but also won’t break a bank.
3. The Gem
- The Gem provides more than 150 template layouts that you can try before using it. Apart from that, you are also able to customize them.
- With the support for video and parallax backgrounds, you can make your pages look more dynamic. What is more, The Gem is integrated with two of the best WordPress slider plugins: LayerSlider and Revolution Slider.
- Should you want more than what The Gem’s page builder offers, Visual Composer is also included in this theme.
- Customer support for the theme is limited, and users have to pay for it. Upon purchasing The Gem, you get six months of support and have to pay an extra $8.63 to extend it to a year. Apart from that, the developer also does not provide documentation.
The Gem is an affordable but powerful page builder for WordPress. With $35, users already get free lifetime updates, Visual Composer, and multilingual support. Furthermore, The Gem also supports many famous WordPress plugins, such as WooCommerce, Contact Form, and MailChimp.
- Theme Fusion does not only offer Avada for personal use but also for freelance designers and agencies as well. Since the theme developer allows white labeling, anyone can rebrand Avada.
- Websites created with Avada are not only mobile-friendly and can fit any screen. With its width editor, you can make sites with a layout that look good on any device.
- Avada offers an easy way to migrate content when changing to another template. It allows you to decide what type of content to move and mentions what plugins are required for the new template.
- Avada can only be used for one website. If you want to design multiple sites with a single payment, it is recommended to get a theme that allows it.
Avada is a tough competitor to Divi, with more than 500 thousand purchases in Theme Forest. Plus, it is only $60, compared to the previous theme’s high price. Unfortunately, the usage is limited to only one website.
Though, its intuitive page builder and content blocks will please users who want to make a website with various features.
- There are more than 400 fully functional templates to choose from. Because of that, you won’t have to customize your website too much before launching it.
- Be Theme comes with Google Fonts for customizing the text on your site. If you are not happy with that, though, there is an option to upload other fonts.
- With 50 page elements and more than 200 shortcodes, Be Theme lets you add various functions to your site or pages.
- Same as the other themes from Theme Forest, Be Theme has limited customer support that is not free. What is more, it is only available for 10 hours a day.
Be Theme is an excellent choice if you want to have a quick start for your website. You only need to select from the many templates that are available and make some changes to the features and design.
But if the appearance is unsatisfactory, you can customize it with Visual Composer, which is included with Be Theme. Together with Slider Revolution and LayerSlider, the theme costs $59.
- Bridge comes with many transition styles. But if you can code, the theme allows for custom animations with Ajax.
- Updating Bridge is made simple with its auto-updater. With this function, users will never miss an update.
- It may be hard to choose between the theme’s 367 templates. Because of that, Bridge allows you to combine the features of more than two templates.
- Bridge’s customer support is always available through email. Apart from that, the theme’s developer also helps users by providing documentation.
- Even though the theme has many templates and lets you combine their features, some of their functions does not always work together.
Bridge is like the majority of themes in this list – it uses Visual Composer as its page builder, and offers header and menu customization through CSS.
However, the theme also comes with a few extra benefits that users may like. First of all, it has an auto-update feature. Secondly, users can create custom transition styles with Ajax.
With those features and more than 300 templates, it is not bad to spend $59 for this theme.
- The built-in logo feature enables everyone to create a professional-looking logo for their brand.
- Ultra lets you create as many child themes as possible from its templates – which means that the customizations you make will not change the original design.
- While some themes are only single-use, Ultra can be applied to unlimited websites.
- Ultra may be expensive for some users, but its bundle comes with plenty of benefits. Both Master Club and Lifetime Club plans include several add-ons that cost a lot if you buy them separately.
- With only around 50 add-ons, there aren’t a lot of features you get with this theme.
- The customer support for Ultra may not always be responsive.
Ultra is a suitable choice for users who want to set up a simple website without a hassle. Even though it does not have a wide selection of templates, anyone can use all of them over and over again without editing the original copy.
Combined with an intuitive drag-and-drop page builder, logo and image editor, and many header styles, you can create an awesome website without any technical knowledge.
The customizable WordPress theme costs $89 if you pay for it yearly, but a single purchase plan is also available for $249. Both include premium add-ons and all templates.
- Long hours of editing your theme can be tiring. Using Oshine, you can save time with keyboard shortcuts on its page builder. The function includes tasks like undo, redo, copy, cut, paste, and more.
- This theme makes your job even easier by allowing you to save your design as a template. You can also duplicate certain sections of a page.
- Since Oshine leaves clean code, users do not have to worry when they want to use another theme.
- Users can create beautiful portfolios with custom image hover effects, grids, and loading animation styles.
- Like Ultra, Oshine does not have many templates. At the moment, the theme includes around 40 demo sites.
- The theme is bundled with 50 page elements, but it does not have any add-ons. If you do not like its features, there is no other option than to use the existing ones.
Since it has various styles of grids and image hover effects, Oshine creates good-looking galleries. Because of that, it is recommended for visual artists and photographers.
If you want to get Oshine, it is available on Theme Forest for $59.
- Since Brooklyn leaves clean code, you will not have much trouble with WordPress shortcodes when changing to another theme.
- The customizable WordPress theme has 13 styles of sections dividers, which also support color gradients.
- Not only does Brooklyn allow for video and parallax backgrounds, but also custom animations. What is more, it comes with the Slider Revolution plugin.
- Users can only contact customer support through email. Apart from that, the average response time is under 24 hours.
Brooklyn is a hidden gem among other customizable WordPress themes from Theme Forest. Even though it only costs $36, you already get Visual Composer, Slider Revolution, many headers, grids, divider styles, and around 40 website templates.
Even though the bundle includes a 6-month support period, you only have to pay $9 to extend it for another half a year. Thus, this theme is a good choice for anyone who does not want to spend a lot of money.
- If you think the regular page builder interface is boring or inconvenient, try X. This theme allows you to change the layout of its builder. Even better, you can resize the layout to maximize the preview of your pages.
- X is suitable for web design agencies. With its role manager, you can set user types and the authority that each has. For example, clients are set to only be able to add blog content.
- Another function that web designers and agencies will like is the template manager. With this feature, you can save templates of a whole website, page, or section.
- By purchasing X, you also get around 30 WordPress plugins that are otherwise premium. They include Layer Slider, Envira Gallery, and Cornerstone page builder.
- If you want a quick start, X may not be the best option since it only gives a couple of templates.
- The theme’s customer support renewal costs $17.63, which can be expensive for users with a small budget.
With the price set at $59, X is an economical choice for web design freelancers or companies. Out of the box, you already get not only the Cornerstone page builder but many other premium WordPress plugins and a couple of other useful add-ons.
Apart from that, X provides you the ability to manage design templates and your team members’ roles. Last but not least, the customizable WordPress theme allows you to resize the page builder’s interface.
- If you want to build an online store, Jevelin should be in your tool list. With WooCommerce and Contact Form 7 integration, creating an ecommerce site will be easy.
- By using this customizable WordPress theme, you can enable smooth scrolling and a “back to top” button – making it easier for site visitors to navigate.
- Users can save time on designing with batch editing. With this feature, you can select multiple page elements or text blocks and give them the same actions.
- Unfortunately, the only support that users get is through the theme’s forum, which requires everyone to log in. With the support renewal fee that costs $17.63 per six months, it is expensive.
- Since there are less than 30 design templates, you cannot get an instant start if the options do not suit your liking.
Jevelin is somewhat less known compared to the other themes in this list. According to Theme Forest, this theme has only been purchased around eight thousand times.
However, Jevelin’s quality can compete with popular options on the market. Not only does it include most of the functionality that customizable WordPress themes have, but it also has WooCommerce integration, making it an excellent solution for creating ecommerce sites in an instant.
- Equipped with more than 70 page elements, Uncode lives up to its name. You can build a creative-looking website without writing any code.
- Your embedded media is going to look amazing with Uncode’s media library. What is more, you can use any popular photo and video sites, such as Youtube, Flickr, Spotify, and more.
- It comes with a tailored version of Visual Composer, making it more convenient to use.
- With more than 16 styles of portfolio grids, you can showcase your creations in a stunning layout.
- The support only answers questions in the user forum. Though there is written and video documentation to help you solve problems quicker.
If you want instant web design, Uncode is the necessary tool. By paying $59 once, you are able to use a page builder with various functions, many website elements, and integration with WooCommerce.
Those are not the only benefits, though. Inside the box, you will find other useful plugins like a contact form, slider plugins, and WPML.
To help you build a WordPress website that looks like no other, you need the help of a customizable theme. There are many of them on the market, but one may have a feature or two that the others do not have. Here are the key features of each entry in this list:
- DynamiX – allows you to decorate page backgrounds with curves and edges.
- Divi – has more than 800 amazing templates that you can customize effortlessly.
- The Gem – supports parallax and video backgrounds, plus two of the best WordPress slider plugins.
- Avada – ready for white labeling.
- BeTheme – provides 50 page elements and 200 shortcodes.
- Bridge – has 367 themes with interchangeable features.
- Ultra – lets you create cool logos with its logo customizer.
- Oshine – makes editing page elements more convenient with keyboard shortcuts.
- Brooklyn – does not leave shortcodes on your pages when you change to a different theme.
- X – has a page builder with a customizable interface.
- Jevelin – comes with WooCommerce and Contact Form 7 out of the box.
- Uncode – gives you many types of page elements and portfolio grid styles.
If you have any other favorite customizable WordPress themes, feel free to share them in the comment section below!