Making an excellent website is a lot of work, but it doesn’t have to be expensive. There are even ways you can get a free domain name. This will help allocate your budget to other things, like hosting, for example.
In this article, I will show you five ways you can register a free domain name and kickstart your website ASAP!
Why is Having a Domain Name Important?
There are several reasons why you mustn’t overlook the importance of a good domain name:
- Professionalism – having a custom domain name will give your website a more professional first impression, which can increase your website’s credibility.
- Branding – a domain name is also useful for your brand’s presence. Customers can identify you quickly if you have a representative and memorable domain name.
- Domain-based emails – you can use a custom domain with email hosting, and have a personalized custom email address with your company name. It makes you seem much more reliable, and users will immediately know who’s getting in touch.
- SEO – websites with catchy domain names can help with SEO. You can either include your brand name making your site easier to find (franks.com), or use a relevant keyword to improve the chances of ranking on a specific query (seaside-diner.com), or both (franksdiner.com).
Where to Get a Free Domain Name?
Now that you know why it’s essential to have your own domain let’s see how you can get a free domain name.
1. Hostinger – Free Premium Domain with Fast and Reliable Hosting
With Hostinger, you can kill two birds with one stone. You can get a free domain name for one year free of charge for the first year if you opt for an annual shared Premium or Business web hosting subscription.
With the Premium plan for $2.59/mo or Business for $4.49/mo, you will also get a dependable hosting service that offers unlimited bandwidth, plenty of storage, and a 99.9% uptime. Hostinger offers everything you need to start a website along with a completely free domain name from a trusted ICAAN-certified registrar.
Additionally, the company also offers domain privacy protection that replaces your contact information with generic info, so you can remain anonymous on public databases like WHOIS. This feature will cost $5 per year.
2. Wix – Get a Free Domain Name with a Site Builder
If you’re investing in a reliable website builder and want to get a free domain name on the side, Wix is an excellent choice.
While you can use Wix’s service completely free, you will have to use their subdomain (example: yoursite.wixsite.com) unless you pay at least $4.50/mo to connect your own domain.
Alternatively, you can get a free domain name voucher with plans from the Website and Business & Ecommerce categories. The yearly plans are Combo ($13/mo), Unlimited ($17/mo), or VIP ($22/mo) from the Website category, or Business Basic ($23/mo), Business Unlimited ($27/mo), or Business VIP ($49/mo) from Business & Ecommerce.
Excluding Combo, all plans offer unlimited bandwidth and reasonable storage space options for different kinds of websites depending on your plan of choice. On top of that, Wix’s intuitive drag-and-drop website builder allows a lot of freedom and creativity when designing your website’s look.
3. Dot TK – A Free .tk Domain with No Strings Attached
With this service, you can get a free .tk domain – a ccTLD for the island of Tokelau – completely free for the first year. Other ccTLD freebies you can get from them are .ml, .cf, .ga, and .gq.
However, after a year is up, you will have to pay the renewal fee to continue using your domain. It’s also worth noting that you’re treated as a user instead of an owner of the free domain, as stated in their Terms and Conditions. That means you don’t obtain a legal license to the domain unless you opt to pay.
4. 000webhost – A Free Subdomain and Hosting For Starting Your Project
If you are a beginner webmaster who wants to learn and can settle on a subdomain if it means you have a platform to work on for free, I recommend 000webhost. With them, you will get free web hosting that packs enough resources for small projects, no strings attached.
Once you register, you will be prompted to come up with a name for your new website. You will get an address that uses the 000webhost subdomain.
Among other things, the free web hosting package boasts 1 GB of disk space, 10 GB of bandwidth, a free control panel, website builder, WordPress hosting, and more! It’s everything to get online completely free. Additionally, you’ll become part of 000webhost’s dedicated community that offers plenty of tutorials and discussions.
5. Biz.nf – Free .co.nf Domains For as Long as You Need
Biz.nf allows you to have a free domain for as long as you need it. The only catch is that you can’t transfer it anywhere else and you will only get one type of extension – .co.nf.
The provider offers a pretty great deal – you get free domain renewals, free hosting which offers 1 GB of disk space, 5 GB of bandwidth, and 1 domain-based email account. Their free hosting also comes with a free website builder, but it is very limited. For example, the maximum limit of each file upload is 15 MB.
Regardless, they offer a solid service for those who need free hosting and a free domain name along with free renewals.
Choosing a good domain name is crucial for your online presence. It can make your website look more professional, brand-representative, credible, and reliable. Luckily, you can start your online project with a free domain name, either by getting one through a bundle along with web hosting or from other sources with a few small strings attached. In this article, we learned about:
- Hostinger – a fast and reliable hosting provider that offers a free premium domain for the first year with their yearly plans.
- Wix – a website builder service that offers some plans bundled with free domain name registration for the first year.
- dot.TK – a great place to get a free domain name with a country-code extension. Note, that you will not be the legal license owner of the domain, as per their Terms of Service.
- 000webhost – a free hosting provider that offers plenty of resources for small projects and learning, all the while giving you a free subdomain.
- Biz.nf – a chance to get a free domain with unlimited free renewals and free web hosting. Sadly, you will not be able to transfer the domain to another hosting provider without paying.
So what are you waiting for? Get your free domain and start your dream website today!