Starting a website should be easy for anyone to do. To support this, there are plenty of hosting companies that offer free web hosting services to help you get your first website off the ground.
In this article, you will learn more details about ten free web hosting providers. With the pros and cons of their web hosting features. Let’s check them out.
Can web hosting be free?
The answer to that question is yes. Website hosting can be free but won’t be as capable as the paid ones to host your website. However, it’s important to understand free hosting plans and how they work before making any decisions.
Free hosting plans are often called freemium, taken from the words “free” and “premium,” and provide the necessary features to get you online. It includes one domain or subdomain, often unlimited bandwidth, and a website builder in some hosting companies in the best scenarios.
Free hosting plans are great to help create a test website, school project, non-profit businesses, or a small blog. It also works to remove all doubts or questions about hosting before moving to the paid options.
In most cases, a free plan can be limiting. To overcome issues on websites like limited bandwidth or email accounts, hosting providers often offer paid solutions, which removes the essence of free hosting. That’s why it’s also crucial to understand everything you get from the free options.
Overall, choosing free hosting can be a smart decision. Sure, paid hosting services give you more perks, but a free web hosting plan is a smaller commitment to make, and you can start immediately. It’s also useful for trial and error processes while giving no hassle about budgets.
The best free web hosting providers
Out of the many free web hosting services available, here are the ten best ones worthy of your consideration. They’re picked based on the reliability, user reviews, and features:
- Free Web Hosting Area
Some share the same functionalities, which can help you narrow down your choices. To better evaluate, let’s get into the in-depth explanation of each hosting provider’s pros and cons.
- Includes 1-click upgrade to Hostinger. This feature works in the long run when you plan to scale-up the website. With it, you will have less hassle when upgrading to the paid plans. Hostinger is a capable web hosting provider that has great scaling options, allowing you to gradually increase your spending and the resources you get.
- Automatic WordPress installation. With this feature in hand, users can build their website with the most used content management system (CMS). Using WordPress allows you to enjoy multiple plugins and create almost any kind of website.
- Protected nameservers. With your nameservers protected, you don’t have to worry about possible hackers or cyberattacks. All of this security with no payment is a big positive.
- No email account. With no email account, you will have lesser flexibility for your website. Email accounts on web hosting typically support consistent website branding and an efficient website management system.
- Doesn’t include 24/7 support. Although you can learn from their tutorials or the user forum, not having 24/7 support can be troublesome in certain situations, like website downtime, connectivity issues, or time-sensitive issues.
- Has upload limits. According to reviews, 000webhost deletes files larger than 5 MB to save the 300 MB of space on your servers. Though 3 GB of bandwidth is adequate for the free hosting plan, it can be a bottleneck if you’re experimenting with a bigger project.
The free web hosting plan by 000webhost works best for personal and small websites, like WordPress blogs, portfolios, or school projects. This is supported by the 300 MB of disk space, capable of handling around 3000 website visitors per month.
000webhost provides you with short and long term hosting through their integration with Hostinger. This benefits your website planning and makes 000webhost a great option to consider.
There are a few downsides from 000webhost, like lack of SSL certification and no daily backups, but compensated by perks like 99.9% uptime guarantee, 1 MySQL database, a free subdomain, and the protected nameservers.
- Easy CMS and apps installation. Using the Softaculous Script Installer, you can install 400+ applications, including popular CMS options, like WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla. Having this feature allows a quicker website activation with all the essential tools.
- Free subdomains. As Infinityfree claims, you can have as many subdomains as you need from their 25+ domain extensions. This feature benefits you if you’re running multiple website projects.
- Includes free SSL certificate. Infinityfree includes a free SSL certificate for their free website hosting. A free web hosting plan with free SSL is worth considering. It protects your website and users’ data with no extra fee.
- Limit on daily traffic. Although with unlimited bandwidth, their free hosting plan is limited to 50,000 hits per day.
- No one-on-one customer support. Similar to 000webhost, Infinityfree doesn’t include customer support for the free hosting. Although they offer a knowledge base and support forum, having no customer service can be troubling if website downtime occurs.
- Account suspension. According to user reviews, Infinityfree suspends and bans several accounts – which sometimes happen in free web hosting. In short, this possibility makes it more challenging to start business websites with this free plan.
With no hidden fees, the free plan from Infinityfree is appealing with the unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth. This allows you to create and manage smaller projects or campaigns better.
Other features to consider in the website hosting plan is the 400 MySQL databases, no ads included in the platform, free DNS service, and full .htaccess support. All of the features allow you to have a decent, simple website.
- Includes free SSL certificate. Similar to Infinityfree, Googiehost includes a free SSL certificate that comes with their free hosting plan. Users can enjoy a secure website and focus on developing their web projects.
- Uses cPanel hosting. Googiehost uses cPanel for their free hosting. The plus side is that cPanel is easy to use, which works for beginners. With this control panel, you can manage your files and website better alongside their Softaculous Auto Installer.
- Free Site.pro builder. The free plan comes with a drag-and-drop website builder and free domain name. The site builder includes multiple templates you can choose from. This site builder works if you’re planning to run the website as soon as possible.
- Limited ticket support. Limited tickets for customer support means you can only have so many mistakes. However, they still offer 24/7 customer support that avoids issues at unpredictable times.
- Poor website branding. When browsing through Googiehost’s homepage, visitors’ first impression of misspelled words like “2,12,020 users” might affect their judgment on the hosting provider.
- Unable to have multiple accounts. Googiehost only enables one account on their free hosting plan. Users must upgrade to the paid hosting to allow multiple accounts, which starts from $2.50 per month.
Googiehost’s free plan includes 100 GB bandwidth and 1 GB disk space, which is enough to run a website with a medium monthly traffic rate. There are a few downsides to Googiehost, but the benefits they offer are worth considering.
The benefits include the mobile-friendly website builder, 24/7 customer support, 2 MySQL databases, Cloud Linux, and cPanel. With those features and 3-step website activation, Googiehost remains one of the best options for free hosting after ten years.
- Includes Softaculous installer. Similar to Infinityfree, Byethost includes this script installer along with the free plan. Use it to install WordPress or other CMS that support website management.
- Allows subdomains. With subdomains and five email accounts, users can create multiple accounts for better website management. Additionally, it also comes with unlimited add-on and parked domains.
- Includes SEO tools. Byethost offers SEO tools on their main free hosting details, which is worth considering. In a free plan, SEO tools help improve page ranking on the search engine results page (SERP) and increase your SEO knowledge.
- No free top-level domain. In exchange for that, customers can use subdomains. For small websites, this works just fine. Meanwhile, businesses should definitely be using their own domain.
- No money-back guarantee. If you decide to test Byethost’s paid hosting service, like shared hosting that costs $3.99 per month, you can’t get the money back if it doesn’t suit your preferences.
- Limited space. Limiting to a maximum of 10 MB file size, using Byethost free hosting limits websites from having content. This is possible for a simple website with minimum HTML files. When the limit is reached, your website loads slower, which affects SEO.
Byethost’s free web hosting plan is suitable for small businesses with basic website needs. It also works for individuals with a hobby-based website, considering they include a free site builder, 5 MySQL databases, and PHP support. Their list of free hosting features is easy to understand, even for beginners.
Consider the bad, like no money-back guarantee and no knowledgebase, with the good, as the cPanel, ad-free platform, and 24/7 support for customers. With all the details of their free plan, Byethost makes a great alternative.
- Fast speed and quality performance. In addition to this, they also offer a high network uptime and 2.5 GB of internet connectivity.
- 1-click application installer. Freehostia’s free plan, called Chocolate, includes an in-house application installer. With just one click, users can enjoy their free PHP scripts in the form of image galleries, blogs, and content management tools.
- Allows you to host up to 5 domains. You can have these five hosting domains supported with 6 GB for monthly traffic and three email accounts. Users can easily switch between projects while keeping the websites looking professional.
- Limited disk space and file size. With 250 MB disk space and 500 KB of the file size limit, Freehostia is only ideal for small websites or blogs and contradicts their five domains feature. Pay more attention to this before you create a website with them.
- No customer support. The free web hosting plan doesn’t include 24/7 customer support, similar to several hosting providers mentioned earlier. Consider learning from their website or users’ review online to resolve issues.
- Doesn’t include cPanel. As a control panel, the cPanel provides ease of use for website owners. Instead, Freehostia uses their in-house control panel that can be confusing for some users to learn again. However, keep in mind that Freehostia uses a 1-click Application Installer.
Freehostia’s free web hosting service also offers 24/7 tech support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. However, their website shows less focus on the Chocolate plan, but rather on the paid ones. This makes Freehostia an excellent option for website scale-up.
If you’re considering the paid plans, which start from $14 per month, they offer free domain name registration and transfer. Therefore, choosing Freehostia is suitable for long-term projects, and you’re expecting steady website growth.
- Numerous extension and plugin options. WordPress plugins vary in functionality and benefits, and they’re also included for free web hosting. Through this, you can create a website according to your needs.
- Generous storage space. The free web hosting plan includes 3 GB of storage space, which is enough to run your website. This large storage also accommodates the plugins you can add to your WordPress site.
- Ease of use. This explains why so many people use WordPress for their websites. The ease of use starts from the setup process until your website is active.
- No free domain. With WordPress, you get a subdomain instead. This creates an experience that customers don’t truly own the domain. For personal use, this is not a problem. For commercial use, having WordPress on your website’s name shows less commitment.
- Includes WordPress ads. As you’re using the free version of WordPress, ads are still included within the platform. Consider this if you’re expecting some traffic into your website, as it affects the overall user experience.
Although WordPress is often used to create blogs, it makes a useful website for various needs. The hosting works best as side projects for personal hobby-based sites or blogs due to the disk space and bandwidth. This is supported by multiple templates from their free website builder.
If you’re leaning towards WordPress, you can learn more from various online sources about tutorials, plugin help, and reading reviews – all thanks to the proven capabilities of WordPress. In case it’s needed, WordPress offers a 30-day money-back policy for their paid plans.
However, keep in mind that the free hosting only allows subdomains. However, for a small monthly fee, you can attach a domain.
- 1-click application installer and cPanel. Similar to some hosting companies in this article, FreeHosting also includes the easy application installer and cPanel. Both the control panel and installer support simple website creation.
- Includes a website builder. FreeHosting offers a website builder with multiple templates. This increases the user-friendliness aspect during the website creation process.
- Unlimited storage space. Along with unmetered bandwidth, FreeHosting offers adequate storage space for its users. However, they emphasize that users must comply with their Fair Use policy.
- No free domain and subdomain hosting. This includes the top-level and subdomains for your website. Starting a free website with FreeHosting requires you to have your own purchased domain, which can be a hassle if you’re looking for quick activation.
- Limited server capabilities. The free hosting servers are capable of handling simple websites and legitimate activities. FreeHosting also encourages the users to make upgrades to increase capabilities, which costs $7.99 per month.
- Unavailable in some countries. As stated on their website, FreeHosting doesn’t provide services to several countries, such as Brazil, Iran, Sudan, Cuba, Syria, and Vietnam. Pay attention to this and see if it connects to your estimated target audience.
Looking at FreeHosting’s features, it’s easy to create your website right away. One thing I noticed from FreeHosting is how transparent they are about the free web hosting features. Website owners can learn more about them before making a decision, which is a plus point.
Creating a free website on FreeHosting works best for test websites or small blogs. We recommend considering further for commercial purposes.
This is due to the lack of a free subdomain. If you can purchase your domain and are interested in what FreeHosting offers on their free hosting service, then go for it.
- No ads included. Like the name suggests, FreeHostingNoAds doesn’t include any ads on their platform. This removes unnecessary distraction for users when running their website.
- Includes three subdomains. Consider the three subdomains included in the free hosting plan for additional projects, website management, or static, informational web pages. You can either choose these free subdomains or use your own domain name.
- Generous bandwidth and disk space. With 5 GB of bandwidth and 1 GB disk space, FreeHostingNoAds proves to be a worthy alternative to other hosting companies.
- Limited tech support. Although it exists, FreeHostingNoAds has limited tech support. Like previously mentioned, this can be challenging for time-related issues. Learning from their FAQ page can be a good alternative.
- No free domain name. To start the free web hosting, users must have their own domain name. FreeHostingNoAds compensates it by providing the ability to host three subdomains. Although it works for personal websites, subdomains work best as side projects or small campaigns.
- Low daily traffic hits. In contrast to the 5 GB of bandwidth, the free web hosting is expected to reach a maximum of 1.000 unique daily hits. This limits certain website activity that involves active website traffic.
Owned by Runhosting, FreeHostingNoAds can be a great alternative to Googiehost. The free web hosting service provides precisely the basic features, from one email account, one MySQL database, control panel, and adequate bandwidth.
Moreover, the free web hosting by FreeHostingNoAds provides a straightforward installation process. Give FreeHostingNoAds a try if you’re considering running a test website or personal blog.
- Adequate disk space and bandwidth. With 3 GB bandwidth and 1 GB disk space, users can run a simple website with a sufficient traffic count per month.
- Includes Softaculous Auto Installer. With Softaculous, users can get the most from HyperPHP’s free hosting service. You can install Joomla. WordPress, or Drupal.
- Includes email accounts. After activating the free website hosting, users can start creating the website along with the auto-installer. The email account on this hosting plan comes from Webmail.
- Confusing user interface on website. Navigating through their website and finding more details about the hosting can get confusing for some users.
- The website isn’t secure. When going to their website, you can immediately see that their website isn’t secure. While this might be different about the hosting plans because of the automatic self-signed SSL, the concern comes from HyperPHP as a hosting provider.
- No database backup. With no database backup, users can include only so much on their website without being afraid of data loss.
As a web hosting provider, HyperPHP works best for personal websites. They also offer free domain migration for users. However, consider the website security and no database backup for users as it impacts how your website will be.
- Fast loading time. With multiple dedicated servers and fast SSD disks, Free Web Hosting Area, or FreeWHA, offers a guarantee in interruption-free website hosting. They also emphasize the high uptime of their service.
- Includes a free subdomain. You can choose multiple subdomain options when selecting the free web hosting. It’s a combination of various second-level domains with top-level domains, ranging from .com, .net, and .biz.
- Daily and weekly backups. FreeWHA ensures that the daily and weekly backups ensure that your files are safe regardless of a server crash.
- Challenging to kickstart the website. FreeWHA doesn’t include a free website builder or subdomain, which is troublesome for beginners.
- No top-level domain included. As stated previously, FreeWHA only includes a free subdomain. Users need to have their own domain or purchase it via Protonhosting.com with various price ranges.
Creating a website on FreeWHA, is more suitable for users prioritizing practicality over aesthetics. However, this means that their focus lies in delivering a great web hosting service. FreeWHa includes a generous disk space of 1.5 GB for their users.
As for their CMS, FreeWHA prioritizes WordPress and Joomla. Also, consider their long-standing period as a sign of trustworthiness, which is 16 years. Moreover, FreeWHA is constantly adding new features, such as SSL support, and improving the existing ones.
To sum up, here are the ten best free web hosting:
- Free Web Hosting Area
Note that some hosting companies offer similar features, some with the same tools like cPanel and Softaculous Auto Installer, and perks like 24/7 customer support and free website builder.
The best way to choose suitable hosting is by going through all their features and match them with your needs. For example, understand the best CMS or control panel that you find the easiest to use. Always check for hidden fees or additional services to avoid paying.
Also, consider the urgency of your website creation. If you need to start right away, pick the one with simple activation. If you’re looking to scale in later days, consider the most flexible free hosting. We encourage you to learn about the hosting companies one by one. Good luck!