When managing a WordPress website, you’re bound to have several tasks or events happening at once. Did you know that you can manage your schedule and events together in one place? Google Calendar for WordPress is the answer to your organizing trouble.
In this article, you will learn how to integrate Google Calendar with your WordPress site using a plugin.
Why Integrate Your Site With Google Calendar?
Google Calendar is not only a robust calendar service, but it serves as an event and appointment management tool as well.
You can use it to notify your readers regarding new updates or posts, and other events that are happening on the site. Important dates can easily be shared and help audience engagement by building anticipation for future events or content releases.
For personal use, managing your own schedules won’t be any trouble with this service. Preparing for events, posting reminders, and appointments can all be made with just a few clicks. It’s a very convenient tool, especially when you have an active website to run.
This article will break down the process of adding Google Calendar to your WordPress site in three steps.
Add Google Calendar to WordPress in 3 Easy Steps
There are several plugins available for WordPress that can add Google Calendar to your website. But for this tutorial, I’ll be using Simple Calendar.
How to Install Simple Calendar
As always, the first step is finding the plugin and install it:
- Go to the Plugins section on your WordPress dashboard, then click Add New.
- Type “Simple Calendar” in the search bar.
- Press Install Now, then Activate it.
A new Calendars section will appear on the sidebar of your dashboard.
Connecting Google Calendar to Your WordPress Site
To link Google Calendar to WordPress with the plugin, you will need an API key. Follow these steps to acquire it:
- Visit the Google Developers Console page.
- Click CREATE to start a new project and fill in the required fields.
- Go to the API Library type “Google Calendar” in the search bar.
- Click on Google Calendar API, then press Enable.
- Navigate to the Credentials section, click on the +CREATE CREDENTIALS button, and select the API key. The website will then generate an API Key for you.
- For safety measures, press the RESTRICT KEY button and choose HTTP referrers (web sites).
- Scroll down and click on the ADD AN ITEM button. Enter your website’s URL, then hit DONE.
- Choose Restrict key under the API restrictions, and pick the Google Calendar API. Don’t forget to press SAVE.
- Copy your API key and go to the calendar’s Settings on your WordPress dashboard. Paste the key in the space provided, and click Save Changes.
Displaying Google Calendar in WordPress
Now, it’s time to show Google Calendar on your WordPress site!
- Visit your Google Calendar and go to Settings. Scroll down the sidebar, find Settings for my calendars, then select the calendar that you want to use for your website.
- Click Access permissions and tick the Make available to public box.
- Then access the Integrate calendar tab to get the calendar’s unique ID. Copy the ID under the Public address in iCal format.
- Go back to your WordPress dashboard, hover the Calendars tab, and press Add New.
- Scroll down to the Calendar Settings under the text editor, and select Google Calendar. Paste the ID in the Calendar ID box, then Publish your post.
Here is the result after you save the post:
Google Calendar is an excellent way for you to keep track of your website’s agenda. You can attach the calendar to your WordPress website, allowing your audience to check what events or releases you have coming up. Useful right?
Here are the steps to add Google Calendar to WordPress:
- Install the Simple Calendar plugin.
- Connect Google Calendar to the plugin.
- Display Google Calendar on your website.
You will definitely get lots of benefits from Google Calendar, so why not try it out now?