FTP, short for File Transfer Protocol, is a handy tool used to transfer files between computers and servers.
Feel confused because you don’t know what FTP is or how to use it? No worries! In this article, I will provide you with all the needed information. After reading it, you’ll be able to use FTP with no problems!
Keep on reading!
What Is FTP?
FTP is a method to access and share data online.
To use it, you must connect to your server through an FTP client like FileZilla. Once you’re connected, you’ll be able to access the files on both your computer and server.
This means you can easily share and manage the files.
When you access FileZilla, you will see your computer directory labeled as “Local Files” on the left panel, and “Remote Site” on the right panel.
If you want to back up your website, you will need to transfer your website’s files from your server to your computer. With an FTP client like FileZilla, you will simply drag the files you want to transfer from your “Remote Site” and drop them on your “Local Site”.
What Is FTP Used For?
FTP was used as the main method to exchange or transfer files between computers under an FTP server. You could share a file you’ve uploaded in an FTP server simply by sharing a link to it.
However, this is not as common anymore due to the rise of cloud storage services like Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive.
Nowadays, FTP is mostly used for easy website backups.
How to Use FTP?
First thing first, you need to install an FTP client. As I mentioned before, I recommend using FileZilla as it will allow you to easily move the files by drag and dropping them.
Moreover, you can also auto resume your transfer if it fails halfway.
Connecting to an FTP Server
1. Open FileZilla
2. Login by filling out your FTP server’s credentials. You will need the details of your FTP Host, Username, Password, Port. You can find your FTP details in your hosting control panel.
If you fail to log in using the credentials of your FTP Access, you can contact your hosting customer service to get it activated.
3. Once you fill out your login credentials, click “Quickconnect” to begin the process
4. Once connected, you can see all of your files at the bottom.
That’s all! You can start downloading and uploading your files.
Downloading and Uploading Files
To upload files to your site, you only need to:
1. Open FileZilla, connect to your hosting account, head to the right panel and select the folder in which you want to upload new files. Here, I choose the wp-content folder.
2. Then, go to the left panel and select the computer files you want to upload. Simply start dragging and dropping the files into the right panel. You can also do that by right-clicking the files and selecting “Upload”.
3. Once the uploading process starts, you can track the process through “Queued files” on the bottom panel. When it’s completed, the files will be in the “Successful transfers” panel.
It is similar if you want to download files from your site:
1. Head over the left panel and choose the folder where you want to store your downloaded files. Here, I will store it in the “Documents”.
2. Then go to the right panel and choose the folder or files that you want to download. Just drag and drop it to the left panel to start the download. You can also do that by right-clicking the files or folders, and choose “Download”.
3. You can track your download process through “Queued files” on the bottom panel.
4. Once your download completed, it will be logged on the “Successful transfers” panel.
As I have shown you, FTP is used to access and manage your site’s files. Apart from transferring it manually using FTP in the control panel, you can simply do so using an FTP client.
FileZilla is one that I recommend. It is free and powerful enough to assist you in downloading or uploading files from your computer to your site’s server. Here is how to use it:
- Download and install FileZilla on your computer.
- Connect to your hosting server by filling out your login credentials.
- Click “Quickconnect”.
- Once it is connected, you can see your computer directory in the left panel and your site’s server directory on the right panel.
- Simply select the file you want to transfer, and simply drag and drop it.
It’s very easy, isn’t it? I bet you will be able to easily transfer your files after reading this article!