Content management system (CMS) is a software for creating and managing a website. With this platform, people with little to no technical skills can make any website they want – from blogs, social networks, news sites, to ecommerce stores.
CMS has made every process for building and managing a website easy – from editing content, uploading media files, to organizing your web pages. In this article, I will explain the benefits of using a CMS and how you can install it to set up your site. So keep reading!
Why Use A Content Management System?
More than half of existing websites today use CMS, and the benefits listed below will explain to you why.
- Ease of use – CMS is designed to have a user-friendly interface so that non-tech savvy folks can use it. Whether it’s in a drag-and-drop form or a menu-driven interface, you’ll get familiar with your CMS dashboard in no time.
- Self-reliance – worst scenarios aside, you usually won’t need a programming expert to manage your website with CMS. The back end is already handled for you, so you only need to deal with the front end.
- Support – but if you do encounter some troubles, most CMSs have various support options to assist you, such as community forums, tutorials, and live chat support.
- Affordability – installing a CMS usually will only cost you a hosting service plan. Most CMSs can also be directly downloaded from their website without charge as they are open source.
- Collaborative workflow – CMS enables multiple users management, allowing more than one person to tend to a website simultaneously. The version control feature also keeps people from clashing when working in the same environment.
- More functionality than static HTML – some people still use static HTML to make websites. Though static HTML has its benefits, it lacks in various functions that a CMS offers with its extensions.
- SEO-Friendly – most widely-used CMS platforms already have built-in SEO features, such as adjusting URLs, adding metadata, and customizing page titles. If that’s not enough, many provide third-party SEO plugins as well.
How to Create A Website with A Content Management System
Ready to create your own website with a CMS? Let’s choose the right platform for you to begin.
There are many options to choose from, but the most popular ones are WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla. Each has its strong points.
- WordPress – this CMS has powered up to 34% of existing websites on the internet, from personal blogs to ecommerce sites. It’s user-friendly and has and has a vast collection of plugins and themes.
- Joomla – though this platform requires moderate developer skills to get started, it generally remains user-friendly. Its strength lies in social networking extensions, making it perfect for building community websites, forums, and membership sites.
- Drupal – if you have a large company, Drupal might be better for you. Without having to add plugins, its taxonomy can handle complex websites that anticipate large traffic. It’s also more suitable for developers as some functionality might require coding knowledge.
If you’re still confused, check this article to help you decide.
After deciding on a CMS, follow the next steps.
1. Getting A Web Host and A Domain Name
Installing a CMS requires choosing a hosting provider. If you don’t know which service and plan to pick, here are several factors you can keep in mind:
- Type of hosting – most newcomers are introduced to shared and VPS hosting. Selecting between the two will depend on your website needs and technical skills. Read this article to understand their similarities and differences.
- Cost – different hosting companies offer various service plans. To set up a budget for the service you need, consider how much the plan initially charges you, how long you will use it, and other additional fees in the long run.
- Ease of use – If you are new to web hosting, it’s recommended to search and find out how each hosting provider’s control panel differs. Make sure the service you choose has a beginner-friendly dashboard.
After selecting your hosting service, let’s move on to picking a domain name. Select one that represents your personal brand or business. Make sure it’s short, relevant, and catchy so that people can easily remember it. You can use domain name generators if you need help.
Once you’ve found the perfect domain name, see if it is available by using a domain checker. Then, register it.
2. Installing the CMS
After setting up the hosting and domain, you can now install the CMS. Most hosting services provide a one-click installation process. For illustration purposes, I’ll show you how to install WordPress from Hostinger’s hPanel.
- Go to Hostinger’s hPanel and click on Auto-Installer on the Website section.
- Select WordPress.
- Fill in the requested details: domain name, administrator username, password and email, language, website title, and tagline.
- Press Install.
3. Customizing Your Website
It’s time to build your website. Don’t know where to start? Here’s a to-do-list to guide your process.
- Design the appearance – consider the layout, color palette, and theme that best embodies your site and your brand.
- Set up a homepage – people will visit this page first to access other sections of your website, so be sure to make it easily navigable.
- Add an About page and other relevant pages – figure out the types and amount of pages you need, and be sure to include an About page as the site’s overview.
- Get extensions – most CMS provides extensions and plugins to customize your website’s appearance, improve SEO, and strengthen its security.
A content management system is a platform to create and manage a website with minimal technical knowledge.
If you want to make a blog or start an ecommerce site, a CMS can handle your demands – with features like a user-friendly dashboard, various website functionality, and multiple user management, the possibilities are endless.
To make a website with a CMS, follow these steps:
- Choose the right CMS – WordPress, Joomla, Drupal are great for different types of sites, so be sure to consider their advantages.
- Get a hosting provider and a domain name – keep in mind the type of hosting plans, ease of use, and cost of the hosting service, then make sure your desired domain is available.
- Install the CMS – you can do this with the one-click installation feature if it’s available.
- Customize your website – start designing and adding relevant pages and features to your site.
Now you’re ready for your website-building journey!