A static front page is a home page that doesn’t update its content and stays the same. It’s also called a custom homepage as you can feature anything you want — images, videos, text blurbs, etc.
WordPress displays a list of your recent posts on the homepage by default. The content will change every time you add more blog posts. Read on to find out how you can turn it into a static page.
How to Create a Static Front Page
Making a static front page is not a complicated process. It can be done in just a few steps:
- From your WordPress dashboard, navigate to Pages -> All Pages.
- You can choose the default Homepage or Add New and name it Home.
- Edit the page using the block editor. Click Add block to insert elements.
- Publish the page.
- Go back to All Pages -> Add New. Name the page Blog, Articles, or Posts, then Publish it.
- Return to your WordPress dashboard and navigate to Appearance -> Customize.
- Select Homepage Settings and choose A static page. Then set Home as the Homepage and Blog as the Posts page.
- Save the settings by pressing Publish.
That’s all. You now have a static front page as your WordPress website’s homepage.
Why Use a Static Front Page
A static homepage is useful for those who want their WordPress website to look less like a blog. It’s a great way to display timeless content.
Creative professionals and experts can showcase their best work, contact information, and testimonials.
Business owners can use a static front page as their landing page, focusing on a specific product, service, event, or promotional discounts.
You can add different types of elements to make your homepage engaging and interactive. Since blog posts are moved to another page, there will be space for sliders, videos, call to action buttons, contact forms, and many more.
A static front page gives you the space to welcome your visitors with a personalized homepage. You can display content that doesn’t need to be updated regularly. It makes your website more organized as blog posts are shown on a different page.
Though WordPress sets a dynamic homepage by default, you can easily make it into a static front page by following the steps above.