Sharing and managing your website’s files can be time-consuming, especially when WordPress’ built-in features can’t assist you with the process. The solution? Install a WordPress download manager plugin and utilize its simple file directory.
This article will cover everything from the reasons why you may need a download manager to the list of the four best options to opt for.
WordPress Download Manager Plugin for the Best Data Exchange Experience
Generally, every WordPress download manager plugin has similar basic functions — to simplify data exchange on the website. Once you activate the plugin, visitors can directly download your files in one click without being directed to Google Drive, Dropbox, or other storage platforms. It makes sharing documents or data simpler and more efficient.
As an example, let’s see how most governmental institutions publish their monthly reports. Rather than showing their information all in one article or post, they will provide links to download all the necessary files and documents next to a summary of the report.
WordPress download manager plugins commonly have access limitation settings as well. You can enable security measures like password protection. Therefore, it’s possible to limit and control who can view your documents.
Equally important, the plugin is helpful if you plan to sell digital products online. You can easily open an ecommerce store, set prices to products, and track your daily turnover.
Top 4 WordPress Download Manager Plugins Worth Trying
There are tons of download manager plugins to choose from. So, to help you decide on the most suitable one for your website, here is my list of WordPress download manager plugins based on their ease of use and features:
WP File Download is a well-known plugin that can display downloadable files on your WordPress site with minimal setup. It has a straightforward file directory and an expandable navigation pane like that of the Windows File Explorer.
The tool simplifies data management as it helps locate any files in the directory quickly. You can track the number of times files are downloaded through its download statistics dashboard as well.
In addition, it offers an effortless way to add, duplicate, and move files. Apart from having a Select Files button, you can use its drag and drop feature to manage the files. Limiting access is also possible and as easy as ABC using this plugin.
This WordPress download manager provides four themes ‒ default, Accordion tree, Table, and Google Drive. All of which can be applied to a specific category and file. The good news is, you can also adjust each theme’s color to fit your WordPress site’s design.
Last but not least, WP File Download has three pricing plans. The basic plan costs $29 with six-month of plugin updates and support. Meanwhile, the higher plans cost $39 and $59 and include one year of updates and support.
- Great navigation — new users can adapt quickly without needing third-party assistance thanks to its user-friendly design.
- Advanced search tool — filter files easily using parameters such as date of creation, date of upload, category, or tags.
- Paywall on add-ons — several essentials add-ons like the file storage service integration and social locker are only available with the highest-priced package.
WP File Download is a robust WordPress file manager. The plugin is easy to use and simplifies the management process. It lets you display downloadable files on your website in an organized manner. As a premium plugin that lives up to its reputation, you’ll get your money’s worth.
WordPress Download Manager is an ideal plugin for building a digital store. It offers many ecommerce features like a shopping cart, order and invoice processing, and coupon management. This might be the reason why some prominent companies like Microsoft and Nvidia use this plugin.
Furthermore, WordPress Download Manager has a social lock feature for Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc. Visitors can’t download your files unless they share and promote your content. You can analyze this feature’s performance through the social overview stats on your WordPress dashboard.
The plugin has three pricing plans with an annual subscription ‒ Pro $59, Business $179, and Developer $299. It also has a free version, albeit one that has limited features and tools.
- Supports digital product sales — easily turn the files into digital products with a few clicks and accept payments via multiple payment gateways.
- Thorough sales report — oversee your general and product-specific sales through detailed reports in the form of graphs or custom charts.
- Limited features for the free plan — users that use the free version can only use the password protection and access control features.
If you’re looking for a multifunctional file manager, WordPress Download Manager is worth checking out. For standard use, you can take advantage of its free plan. However, if you’re planning on creating a digital store, investing in the premium plan might benefit you in the long run.
Having more than two million users, Easy Digital Downloads is another promising plugin for starting your online business. Whether it’s ebooks, software, graphics, and so on, you can sell your digital products with ease through its complete ecommerce system. Easy Digital Downloads definitely tries to do more than a regular WordPress download manager plugin.
This plugin provides hundreds of themes and extensions to support your digital selling process. For instance, you can integrate your website to some necessary services like AffiliateWP, Mailchimp, Amazon S3, and many others.
Moreover, Easy Digital Downloads has many active contributors and developers who ensure the constant enhancement of the service. This development also includes language support to help users from different countries.
You can download the free core plugin with PayPal and Amazon payment gateways. Or, choose from its four annual subscription options ‒ Personal $99, Extended $199, Professional $299, and All Access $499 for more functionality.
- Buyer privilege — customers can access their transaction history and re-download purchased files.
- Ability to control discount offers — this can be done by distributing roles or limiting the discount code quota.
- Limited customer service — the support team is only available to assist via the ticketing system.
Equipped with tons of themes and extensions, Easy Digital Downloads can help you build an appealing digital store while providing a robust file manager at the same time. While it seems a bit pricey, the features included in the free plan are more than enough to help you get started.
This free plugin is popular for its ease of use and an intuitive user interface. For example, it provides many simple options for inserting downloadable files like the quick-add download feature. Other than that, the plugin also allows users to manually add links into their posts.
Equally important, Download Monitor lets users extend the plugin’s functionality by activating extensions. For instance, Page Addon enables you to create an organized and informative download page, while Email Lock makes visitors share their emails before they can download files.
Last but not least, Download Monitor has a logging download feature. As a result, no visitors can access and download your files unless they log in as a member.
- Download monitoring — you can limit the access to certain files for members only and track the download counts.
- Link customization — download links are customizable and displayable on your WordPress site in multiple formats.
- Paid extensions — While the plugin is free, you’ll need to buy the extensions to expand its functionality.
Download Monitor is your affordable solution for WordPress file management. The free plugin can manage and monitor downloadable files as well as appealingly present them. You also have the choice to improve the core plugin with extensions if you have the extra budget.
Which Plugin Best Suits Your Needs?
Overall, a download manager plugin brings many advantages for both website owners and visitors. Not only will the plugin help you simplify document management, but it’ll give customers a convenient way to download your files and content.
Amongst many WordPress download manager plugins, here are the four best options to consider:
- WP File Download ‒ offers simple file management with a navigation pane and an advanced search engine.
- WordPress Download Manager ‒ has a free plan, and it’s suitable for creating a digital store with fully supported ecommerce features and downloadable stats from the phone.
- Easy Digital Downloads ‒ provides language support and complete extensions for selling digital products. Plus the core plugin is free.
- Download Monitor ‒ you can use the plugin without spending a dime. It also gives more secure file protection through the login option.
Each plugin has its unique features. You can try the demo versions to understand the plugins better and later pick the one that meets your needs. Good luck!