Need ideas to spice up your WordPress site? Why not add quizzes to your content? You can create and post one in an instant with the help of WordPress quiz plugins. I’ll be recommending the top eight plugins for you to pick from and explain the benefits quizzes might bring to your site.
Keep in mind that the term “quiz” here refers to a web quiz – interactive content, that involves visitors answering questions and getting a result at the end. I’m sure you have taken one of those online personality quizzes like BuzzFeed’s Which Avenger Are You, or maybe a trivia quiz such as The Impossible BTS MV Quiz.
Read on to find out how you can create similar online quizzes.
Never Underestimate a Web Quiz!
A web quiz can be used as your main content or sub-content for entertainment. Either way, they can be turned into a powerful tool to improve your website’s engagement and more. In BuzzFeed’s case 95% of their visitors that start a quiz actually finish it. The quiz What City Should You Actually Live In? has, in fact, been viewed more than 22 million times.
Another web quiz called You’ve Been Framed by Zenni Optical, has generated $1 million in just six months. Those two examples are not that out of the ordinary and are very possible to achieve as interactive content is on the rise.
79% of marketers agree that interactive content brings in loyal visitors and repeat exposure to your site. How? Well, due to its fun and entertaining nature, it increases engagement. Moreover, quizzes can be shared on social media, in other words, bring in free promotion, which attracts traffic.
Web quizzes can also be used in the educational or professional fields as online tests, assignments, surveys, online courses, and so forth.
Top 8 WordPress Quiz Plugins
Excited to create your own web quiz? Before that, you’ll need tools that can help you with the process. Check out these great WordPress quiz plugins that I selected based on their features, popularity, and ease of use:
- Create quizzes with ease for free ‒ you can download the plugin for free and start making quizzes in no time as navigating through the dashboard is as easy as ABC.
- Different types of questions ‒ there are 12 kinds of questions you can put on your quiz. Some of the examples are multiple-choice, open answer, captcha, and fill in the blanks.
- Text customization ‒ you can create your own messages that are shown before the quiz starts, at the end of the quiz, if a user has tried too many times, and so on.
- Rich options menu ‒ from the Options tab, you can pick which system the quiz will be graded on, enable the progress bar, randomize the questions or answers, etc.
- Responsive and shareable ‒ the quizzes and layout will look beautiful on a mobile screen. You can also integrate Facebook and Twitter share buttons.
- Results and stats ‒ view the results and statistics of your published quizzes right from the WordPress dashboard. You’ll be able to analyze the data straight away.
- Ads on your dashboard ‒ the plugin displays ads at the top or sidebar, cluttering up your working space.
- Limited design options ‒ you only have a choice of five color schemes and a custom CSS option. If you don’t have any prior CSS knowledge, then there are not many design changes that you can make.
- No personality quizzes ‒ with this quiz maker, you can’t make BuzzFeed type personality quizzes as it only supports questions with wrong and correct answers.
If you’re planning to create knowledge-base quizzes with different types of questions, then this plugin is perfect for you. Despite not being able to customize the design much, there are still many options on how you want your quizzes to operate. You can also analyze the results easily through the Stats tab.
2. WP Quiz
- Free to download and easy to use ‒ this version of the plugin is free for anyone, and it also has a simple user interface that enables you to create quizzes within minutes.
- Types of quizzes ‒ there are three types of quizzes that you can make with the plugin, the common trivia and personality quizzes, plus flip cards that can be used for a variety of content.
- Compatible and customizable ‒ the plugin works on any WordPress theme, and the free version lets you create custom content, change the colors, or the size of the quiz box. You can even add images and videos.
- Auto-scroll and share buttons ‒ with the auto-scroll feature, visitors can quickly answer the questions without having to scroll down manually. You can also enable Facebook, Twitter, and VK buttons to make your quizzes easier to share.
- Responsive design ‒ people can still take part in answering the quizzes even if they are using mobile devices.
- Analytics is not available ‒ to track the results, you will need to connect to Google Analytics, which can only be done with the pro version of the plugin.
- Only two types of skins ‒ design-wise, you can only choose either the traditional skin or the modern flat one.
The free version of WP Quiz is a great tool if you want to entertain your readers and don’t feel the need to gather and analyze data. Not only does the plugin let you create trivia and personality quizzes, but you can also make flip cards. Even though the design options are a little limited, you can still change the colors and sizes of the quiz box.
- Available for free and has an intuitive dashboard ‒ the plugin has a free plan, that comes with a straightforward quiz editor. Making it easy, fast, and enjoyable to create quizzes.
- A variety of quizzes and templates ‒ you have the choice of making personality, assessment and scored quizzes. Furthermore, there are 200+ pre-made templates to choose from if you don’t want to create them from scratch.
- Customization features ‒ you can make the quizzes match your website by adjusting colors and fonts.
- Social sharing options ‒ easily activate social sharing buttons for Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. You can also choose where you want to place the buttons.
- Looks beautiful on any device ‒ thanks to responsive design, your quizzes will still look great no matter where your readers open them.
- A TryInteract account is required ‒ the plugin is only for embedding the quizzes to your WordPress site. So in order to create them, you will need to have an account at Interact.
- Quiz builder is on the main site ‒ you won’t be able to create the quizzes on your WordPress dashboard as Interact’s quiz editor can only be accessed on their website.
- Analytics is for premium users ‒ in order to see the statistics or integrate your account with Google Analytics, you will need to upgrade to one of the paid plans.
Though setting up an account and the plugin can take some time, due to the features offered, the tool is worth a try. You’ll be able to make three types of quizzes, and there are tons of templates that you can use.
There are also options to change the design so the quizzes fit your WordPress theme. Readers can share your quizzes as well, but you can’t analyze the performance data without upgrading to the premium plans.
4. Quiz Cat
- Free and effortless ‒ this plugin has a free version that anyone can download and use. You can navigate through the user interface without hassle, plus the drag and drop feature lets you move the questions around easily.
- Landing page ‒ every quiz will have a start page complete with a heading, subheading, image, and a Start Quiz button.
- Personalized completion message ‒ you can add your own personal touch to the message box when a visitor completes a quiz.
- Mobile-friendly ‒ the minimalist design is responsive so it’ll be able to adapt to different screen sizes automatically.
- Translatable ‒ content can be created to fit the language preference of your audience, and elements that can’t be modified through the UI can be adjusted with PHP filters.
- One type of quiz ‒ you can only create trivia quizzes with the free version of the plugin. If you want to make personality quizzes, you need to upgrade to the premium plan.
- No social badge ‒ the plugin does not enable adding social media buttons to your quizzes. Which means your visitors won’t be able to share them.
- Lack of design settings ‒ adjusting the design of the quiz can only be done on the premium version, and you’ll need to use HTML to adjust the Description and Results boxes.
Though the plugin is free and simple to use, it only allows you to create knowledge-base quizzes with the free version. Plus there are many limitations such as a lack of design options and no social media sharing buttons. There’s no harm in trying the tool, but checking other plugins that offer more features doesn’t hurt either.
- Easy to use and widely compatible ‒ you can create quizzes in a matter of minutes, and it will work with any type of theme with no problem.
- Multiple quiz types ‒ engage you readers with trivia or personality quizzes, or let them answer random questions.
- Add images ‒ it allows you to upload pictures on the questions and answers to make the quizzes more eye-catching.
- Fully responsive and multilingual ‒ people can take your quiz, whether they are on a smartphone, tablet, or desktop. The plugin is also translated to 10+ languages.
- Turn it into a marketing tool and analyze data ‒ you can make your visitors type in their emails so that you can turn them into leads, or have them share the quiz on their social media accounts for them to see the results. Furthermore, interpreting the data can easily be done through Google Analytics, as the plugin supports it.
- Expensive ‒ the plugin isn’t free to download it’ll cost $36 for the regular license and another $11.63 if you want to extend support. However, you can ask for a refund if the plugin is not for you.
- Comes with only two skins ‒ you can only choose either the Modern Flat or the BuzzFeed skin.
- Limited customization ‒ the user interface relies on WordPress so you won’t get a visual builder. You will also need to upload your own CSS file if you want to customize it further to fit your style.
Compared to the rest of the plugins on the list, WordPress Viral Quiz is on the expensive side. You can get the same amount of features or more for a lesser cost, or even for free, with other plugins. Even though it’s still a good tool to use as it delivers the basic needs with the extra marketing options, you still might want to look elsewhere.
- No strings attached ‒ no need to worry about your budget as the plugin is completely free for anyone to download.
- Drag and drop builder ‒ the user interface for this plugin is one of the few that supports the drag and drop feature, making it easy to create a web quiz, poll, or form.
- Multiple types of quizzes and live preview ‒ you have the choice of creating knowledge quizzes where scores are calculated based on the number of right answers, or personality quizzes with different results depending on reader’s answers. Additionally, there’s a preview option to see how your quiz is going to look after it is finished.
- Rich customization ‒ the plugin lets you change the colors, fonts, style, layout, and upload images. If you have CSS knowledge, you can also enable custom CSS for more advanced customization options.
- Data viewer and additional integrations ‒ you can view the complete data of your visitors’ submissions right from your WordPress dashboard. Connect the plugin with your Slack, Trello, Google Sheets, and Zaiper accounts to easily export data.
- Pagination and responsive designs ‒ choose the number of modules per page for your quizzes, and rest easy knowing your quizzes will still look good on any screen size.
- Translations available ‒ simply install the translation file if you want the display to be in your language.
- Can be a little buggy at times ‒ there is no such thing as a perfect product. Though it doesn’t happen frequently, you might encounter bugs such as the Send button not working or unsuccessful integrations, all due to potential conflicts with another plugin.
Looking for a free quiz plugin that is easy to use, has a lot of features, and is customizable? Give Forminator a chance, and you won’t be disappointed. It has everything you need to create quizzes, whether they are to test knowledge or have a fun personality analysis. But keep in mind that you can encounter issues if you have a lot of active plugins.
7. HD Quiz
- Completely free and unlimited ‒ you can download the plugin for free, with no limits on how many quizzes you want to create.
- Straightforward user interface ‒ navigating through the plugin’s dashboard is no trouble as it only requires you to click around and type in your questions.
- Mobile and touch-friendly ‒ the designs are coded to be responsive with different devices, whether they have a touch interface or not.
- Sharable ‒ distribute your quizzes for the world to see through social media like Facebook and Twitter.
- Image upload ‒ you can add a featured image for each question, make the answers image-based, and use animated gifs.
- Timer and pagination ‒ to add excitement, enable the timer, and set a time limit to complete the quiz. You can also paginate the questions where visitors have to click the Next button to continue.
- Professional or fun ‒ the plugin is useful if you are making professional questionnaires or just fun quizzes.
- Design options are limited ‒ you won’t be able to customize the fonts or colors of the quizzes to fit your style until a feature update from the developer is launched.
- Trivia quizzes only ‒ with this plugin you can only make trivia quizzes with right/wrong answers.
If you are planning to create simple quizzes with additional pictures, then you should try HD Quiz. Though it does have it’s limitations when it comes to customization, the plugin does its job of letting you make web quizzes with ease. Furthermore, it’s already coded to adapt to mobile devices.
- Free, quick, and easy to use ‒ you don’t have to spend a dime to use this tool as it’s free to download. Furthermore, due to the intuitive UI, you’ll be able to create different types of quizzes, polls, or surveys in a matter of minutes.
- Templates and media integration ‒ if you don’t want to build your quizzes from scratch, simply choose from a pool of hundreds of free templates that are available and start from that. You can also add videos and images to make them more engaging.
- Customizable ‒ personalize your quizzes by changing the colors, fonts, and size of the quiz box to fit the style of your website.
- Responsive design ‒ you don’t have to worry about making your quizzes mobile-friendly either as everything is taken care of. The designs are responsive to any screen size and resolution. Therefore, your readers will be able to enjoy them on the go.
- Placement options ‒ feel free to place your surveys or quizzes on the sidebar as widgets, make them pop out when a tab is opened or add them on your posts.
- Analytics dashboard ‒ the results can be seen through graphs and tables, plus you’ll be able to export them as CSV or XLS files.
- Social network integration and translations ‒ share and distribute your polls or quizzes on social media to attract more visitors. Want to make a quiz, but English isn’t your strongest language? No worries, the plugin supports 42 languages, and you can ask the developers to add your language if it’s not already on the list.
- Account sign up ‒ it’s not the plug and play type of plugin, meaning you need to go to OpinionStage’s site and sign up for a free account before you can connect to the WordPress quiz plugin.
- Design platform isn’t on WordPress ‒ creating your quizzes or polls can’t be done on your WordPress dashboard as clicking the Create New button will direct you to the design editor at OpinionStage.
- CSS override is only available for premium users ‒ you will need to upgrade to a premium plan if you want to take it up a notch when it comes to editing appearance and making your quizzes blend in perfectly with your theme and layout.
This plugin is worth a try if you want to create quizzes, surveys, or polls without any hassle and in the least amount of time for free. You’ll be able to customize them to a certain extent as well, and the designs are adaptable to any device. However, you need to make an account, and you will also be directed to OpinioStage’s website to create your quizzes.
Things to Look Out for When Choosing WordPress Quiz Plugins
Finding the right plugin to use from a pool of hundreds or even thousands can be overwhelming. To help you with the process, consider the factors below:
- Ease of use ‒ is the user interface beginner-friendly, or is the learning curve a little higher than you’ve expected?
- Features ‒ how many useful features are there? Does the plugin fit your needs, and is there the options to share your quizzes on social platforms?
- Customizability ‒ are you able to create a quiz with custom questions and design it based on your preferences and site’s aesthetic?
- Responsiveness ‒ does the quiz design adapt to different devices and screen sizes? In other words, is the plugin mobile-friendly?
- Pricing ‒ do you have the budget for premium and freemium plugins, or are you only looking for free tools?
Which One Is the Best for You?
Web quizzes are a great way to engage your readers and attract more traffic, whether they are for entertainment or education. They can add variety to your content and be easily promoted through social media platforms. Creating quizzes for your WordPress site can’t get any simpler with the help of plugins.
So let’s look back at the current and most recommended WordPress quiz plugins:
- Quiz and Survey Master ‒ no costs, has a simple interface that enables you to create responsive web trivia quizzes and surveys. Provides many operational options, but lacks design options.
- WP Quiz ‒ the free version of the plugin lets you make personality and trivia quizzes as well as flip cards that are mobile-friendly. But, design options are quite limited, and you can’t track results or other data.
- TryInteract ‒ rich in features and customization, plus you can tweak pre-made templates and all that for free. However, the process can take some time as everything is done on the plugin’s site. The plugin itself is only for embedding the quizzes. In addition, there are no analytics available.
- Quiz Cat ‒ free and straightforward to use if you only want to create knowledge-base quizzes. Keep in mind that there’s a lack of design settings and social media button option.
- WordPress Viral Quiz‒ this plugin costs $36 and has almost the same set of features as other quiz plugins. However, you can make your visitors type in their email or share the quiz before they can see the results, which can be used for marketing and growing your mailing list.
- Forminator ‒ has everything you need to make trivia or personality quizzes. It’s free, rich in features and design settings. But bear in mind that it can clash with other plugins though it doesn’t happen very often.
- HD Quiz ‒ a simple quiz maker that you can download for free. It only makes trivia quizzes that are responsive on all mobile devices and can be shared through social media. Style options are unfortunately limited.
- OpinionStage ‒ free and easy to use, though the quiz builder is on the main website. Customization options and analytics can be accessed on the on-site dashboard. Quizzes are also responsive and easily shareable.
Enjoy your time making great quizzes to up engagement, grow your site, and share the fun!